Dialectical Living is very unique providing a professional DBT program run by professionals with lived experience. The professional peer workers “prosumers” at Dialectical Living are community members who help program participants with similar life experiences learn new skills. We are social workers, mental health nurses, addiction counsellors, social service workers and/or peer support workers. We are professional peers passionate to help others. Our approach is community and recovery based. This means that while our peer workers may have degrees and clinical experience, they are first and foremost peers with lived experience. This unique combination offers unparalleled support.
What is lived experience? A person has lived experience when he or she has a mental health history or has a loved one with with such a history.
If you would like to meet the team please visit our About Us page.
Dialectical Living provides dialectical behaviour therapy or “DBT” to people with emotion regulation challenges in the form of individualized or group sessions. If you would like to learn more about DBT, please visit our DBT page.
Would you be a good fit for DBT?
Dialectical Living does not have requirements in terms of diagnoses and is self referral. Our only criteria is to have have challenges regulating emotions or have a family member who has emotion dysregulation. If you would like to learn more about emotion regulation, please visit our BPD/ERD/ What is Emotion Dysregulation page. If you’re still unsure about our group or individualized programs, answer the following questions:
- Do you or a family member have difficulties maintaining relationships?
- Do you or a family member have difficulties with substance use, self-harm, disordered eating and/or overspending?
- Have you or a family member ever been suicidal?
- Do you or a family member have difficulties working or going to school?
- Do you or a family member experience dissociation?
- Do you or a family member wish you were more independent in your life?
- Have you or your family member been on a wait-list for psychiatric treatment?
- Do you want to learn dialectical behaviour therapy skills?
- Are you looking for support from people with lived experience?
If you answered “yes” to any of the above questions, then Dialectical Living would be a good fit for you! Our “Intro to DBT” psychoeducational group will teach you skills to address any of the challenges mentioned above. If you would like to learn more about our groups, events or individualized therapy please visit our Registration or Drop-Ins page.